Hello, reader - welcome to my corner of the internet, where I write about hope, create recipes, and encourage others in living well. You can find out more about me at the bottom of the page, but, in the mean time, please feel free to explore!

E X P L O R E

hope (7) savoury (5) vegan (4) sweet (2) breakfast (1)

Sunday, 6 April 2014

Thai Peanut Curry


 
Thai cuisine is delicious. Two years ago, I had the opportunity to go to Bangkok- it changed my life. You can read about that on the other blog.
But on a lesser note, it also increased my love of Thai food! Mangos and sticky rice, pad thai, thai milk tea...I am about that life. ;)

This is a classic curry that I make quite a bit. It's fairly quick and easy- I'd say the whole process takes 30 minutes. I use a red curry paste from an Asian super market as a base. For this recipe, make sure whatever you use is paste and not sauce! We're making our own sauce with the coconut milk and peanut butter!
 
(Makes 2-3 servings)
 
 
 
 
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of red curry paste (this is fairly strong, so add to taste!)
1 cup of coconut milk (light version works well too!)
1 1/2 tablespoons crunchy natural peanut butter
1/2 cup water
Dried red chilli flakes
1 carrot
1 floret of broccoli
1/2 a red pepper
1/2 a medium zucchini
Banh Pho flat rice vermicelli noodles ( or you can opt for jasmine rice)
1-2 chicken breasts or tofu (optional)
 
 
 
 
1. I heated the coconut milk until almost boiling in a small saucepan and added the curry paste and the peanut butter. I added water to increase the sauce (it tends to thicken as you let it simmer anyways). Mess around until it tastes as peanutty as you like and the leave to simmer over low heat.
 
2. Sliced up the vegetables and chicken. Sautéed the chicken, and the broccoli and carrot over medium heat in a skillet. You can use oil for this, but I prefer to use water (just keep adding enough water so that the mix doesn't stick to the pan!) After the chicken is cooked (think not pink), add the pepper and zucchini.
 
3. This has its own step because it is very important: add the chilli flakes ! I like it spicy, but I'm a little mental with spice. Of course, you don't want it to mask the peanut so moderation is key.
 
3. Add the peanut sauce the meat and veggies, and simmer over low heat.
 
4. Boil water in a large pot and boil your noodles. I used about a quarter of a package. They don't take long to cook, so I just keep testing them until they seem edible. Drain.
 
5. Plate your vermicelli and fantastic peanut curry.
 
6. Eat and be happy (because that's important)!
 


Have a blessed week.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

The Scoop

My photo

 Kind of grew up all over. Kind of love travelling, art, books, music, loving people, tea, food from different cultures, grace, the beautiful world God has made. I enjoy all things creative. Check out Elephants are People (http://godisnotanelephant.blogspot.ca/) for my reflections on life, faith, art, and hope. Figs and Ginger (http://sheeatsfigsandginger.blogspot.ca/) is about healthy living, hope (a general theme!), and recovery.  In the mean time, if you'd like to hear do something else I love- check out http://elephantandgirl.bandcamp.com/. I'd love to hear from you!